Friday, June 17, 2005

Loved ones on the homefront are the true heroes

"Heroism involves sacrifice, and the sacrifice of those our soldiers leave behind is enormous. Their heroism is immense. Thank them and pray for them at every opportunity."

John those are my sentiments exactly.

After all, I am a trained soldier. I volunteered to do this job. My mother (I am single---hence no spouse) on the other hand was not trained to do the job of waiting and worrying about me during this long year. Neither did she volunteer for this task. I guess it could be argued that all mothers worry about their sons and daughters but this is different. We are at war. A TOTAL army war. Something we haven’t had since Vietnam. I can hear some of yall saying, “wait a minute, what about Grenada, Panama, Bosnia and others. Those were wars.” Sure, if you were 82nd Airborne, 101st Airborne, 10th Mountain, Ranger or Special Forces. If you were in any other unit you probably weren’t involved in those. After September 11, 2001, our army has changed. It is no longer a garrison army. There is now a very good chance EVERY soldier in the army will go to Iraq or Afghanistan, multiple times. As an NCO, I have had to radically change my way of thought about training and mentoring my soldiers. Senior NCOs have offered me very good support on how to accomplish this. However, as good as the Family Resource Group (FRG) is at helping dependants. I am aware of no training for non-dependants. Dadmanly 's wife could probably explain the FRG much better than I. Folks we are in a changing world. Things are changing very fast. We have come to depend on instant knowledge worldwide as provided by the Internet, phones and television. I am not saying this is bad. On the contrary, this just veryifies that we are in the end times as described in the Bible. Yes, please continue praying for all of the loved ones back home. They are the true heroes here.

No comments: