Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Spiritual Warfare

Ephesians 6:12

I see principalities and powers massed in the big cities, like Baghdad and Mosul. I see God’s angels surrounding each of our little pieces of real estate we call FOBs. They are like tiny islands surrounded by shark filled waters. We might not see the sharks but they are there. Lurking in the depths. Just waiting on an unprepared soul. Occasionally you might see a fin. Just like you can feel the oppression in a sin filled area. Or see the lack of light. Do you know what I am talking about? Walk past an adult bookstore and tell me it doesn’t “feel” different than going past Barnes and Noble. Or just trust me and don’t put yourself in that dreadful position.

Okay, Mr. Frank Peretti, sir, here is your next book idea. Medic on the battlefield in Iraq with the angels fighting by his side while he saves lives. Hometown heroes in the states are praying fervently to keep the hedge of protection strong and impenetrable. I can hear you thinking out there. Warrior4God, why don’t you write this book? Several reasons…..First as a soldier I am bound my regulations and such that say I can’t talk about what is going on (okay, you didn’t totally buy that, did you? Or you are sharper on the regulations than I am). Second, I am scared. Third, I am not good at elaborating. I can research something to death though. Fourth, Did I say I was scared? Fifth, I couldn’t write a book based on only what I have done this past year. It would bore you to tears. I have found that warfare is 99% preparation and 1% excitement.

Oh that second sentence of the previous paragraph reminds me. I am looking for a picture I once saw of the Grim Reaper leaning down to take a guy. A medic is working on the man. The medic grabs GR’s arm and says, “Not yet” (or something to that effect). We are making a mural for our battalion aid station and would like to use this. Maybe one of my half dozen readers is an artist. Hmmm? LOL

I lost this post on my computer for a few days. I found it this afternoon and will attempt to finish it and post it. I keep coming to the following scriptures and saying when I say I can’t do something:

The task ahead of you is never as great as the POWER behind you. (taken from my favorite T-shirt—design by Delta Pro weight—It has a great picture of a soldier praying)

“…be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.” (Ephesians 6:10, NIV)

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9, NIV)

With everyone’s prayerful support I will attempt a few pages. However, if Frank wants to write a book I would gladly step aside and be one of his many researchers. (Hint, hint) Is it wrong to feel like Moses right now? “Lord, please send someone to speak for me, for I am not able.” (Paraphrased for ease of reading)

3 comments:

Milton Stanley said...

I wrote a book about a preacher's son serving as an Army combat medic during the first Iraqi war. It's called Preacher, by A. Milton Stanley and you can order it through Amazon. There's no Perett-esque spiritual warfare, but suffice to say that the shooting war is not the real battle going on in the novel. I'd be interested in knowing what you think. Peace.

Lance Salyers said...

That sounds like a great book idea. I couldn't agree with you more on your assessment of what's going on in realms unseen all around us. I have the same feelings as a prosecutor when dealing with victims of particularly heinous crimes. Matters such as these are truly fights between Good and Evil.

Keep on fighting, and keep on writing.

God Bless.

Dennis said...

I came across your blog after searching on the phrase you mention, "The task ahead of you...". I've had seen a picture on the net of the phrase, the soldier and scripture reference and was trying to trace the source. Where did you get the T-shirt that you mention?

Anyway, after reading some of your thoughts I wanted to pass along my thanks for your service. I have two sons that are also serving, (Iraq and Afghanistan), and I followed as best we can back here the efforts you and brothers/sisters have been doing.

Thanks again