Thursday, June 16, 2005

Closer than biological brothers

I think Dadmanly will agree with me. John, of blogotional, has a warrior’s heart. Thank you John from another soldier in the desert.

I agree with Dadmanly's Never Forget. I am closer to my military brothers and sisters than I am to my own family. I don’t have any biological brothers. And I am very close to my mother and sisters. (Dad died in 2001) Greg Adams and SSG Mike Scott are two “brothers” that have stuck with me through the years. I didn’t serve in a war zone with Greg but he is the closest thing to a brother I could ever have.

Greg and I served at the same kaisern in Geissen, Germany in the early 90s. He was a MP and I was (still am) a medic. He has since left the Army for life in Louisiana. He is a youth director of a small church near Bogalusa.

Mike and I worked together at Fort Lewis from 1999 until he became a flight medic. Then he shipped off to Fort Benning, Georgia. It could be argued that we served OIF III together. He was eating the same dirt Dadmanly, Mustang23 and I are eating now. I don’t know these two bloggers but just going through the same type of events makes me understand them a little bit more than I would have a year ago.

I know I have changed since being over here. I have matured. I have seen things I will never forget. Some good, some not so good. I have saved lives on more than one occasion. I once felt a life slipping through my hands. I can say one thing for sure. War is nothing like the movies.

2 comments:

John Schroeder said...

Thank you Chuck, that is very high praise indeed -- I am just a guy in the comforts of home doing what he can to help those that are making real sacrifices...

Jeff said...

Chuck, I'm sorry it took me so long to find this link. You are right, I would agree with you (about John's Warrior heart).

I pray you are well.

Thanks for the links and kind words.