Tuesday, June 28, 2005

When does earning money become a sin?

An awesome article by JA Gillmartin on his blog The Sheep’s Crib-Issues got me to thinking. (I know you can smell the smoke from there. haha)

This has long been an embarrassing area for me ... far too many Christian ministries are simply thieves in religious drag

1 Timothy 6:6-10 talks about contentment and ends with the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. I think we have some Christians out there who love their money. When does earning money become a sin? I know I wish I made more money. But, daily, I get gentle reminders from the Lord to be content with what I have. I currently put 20 percent into savings and my future. Ten percent goes to tithe (darn, I should have thought of that first instead of second) Pray that I get over myself and put God first in everything. I will pray the same for you. The other 70% goes to bills, magazine subscriptions (Discipleship Journal, New Man, Men of Integrity, Sail, Blue Water Sailing, Latitudes and Attitudes and Live Aboard), and other junk that I cant take with me to Heaven.
I once read about a millionaire who gave 90% of his salary to Christian charity. He lived on 10 percent. I pray for that kind of witness with my finances.

The following article shows what the masses think of some Christians especially the TV evangelists.

"Hinn does reveal that the $89 million taken in by his church in 2002 is a record for his Grapevine, Texas-based ministry, which has experienced double-digit growth during the past three years through direct-mail requests, viewer donations and offerings taken at the Miracle Crusades. By comparison, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Assn. had revenues of $96.6 million in 2001, the last year available.
Many of Hinn's financial practices go against those set forth by the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, an organization that gained popularity after the televangelist scandals of the 1980s as Christian groups sought legitimacy in the eyes of donors. The council's standards include maintaining an independent board of directors with at least five members and allowing the public to view its finances.
"He promised me 10 years ago that his personal and ministry finances would be an open book," says Ole Anthony, president of the Trinity Foundation, dismissing Hinn's latest vow for more candor. "Hinn's incredible wealth and lifestyle does more harm to Christianity than all of his preaching.""



[Tongue firmly planted in cheek] Maybe Hinn uses this passage from 2 Kings 12:16 to justify his keeping all of that money.

16 The money from the guilt offerings and sin offerings was not brought into the temple of the LORD; it belonged to the priests.

Forgive me, who am I to judge Benny Hinn? The Lord will judge him one day on his actions. If I was in his shoes though…..I would clean house. Christian evangelists should be above reproach for fear their witness will lead someone to Hell instead of Heaven. That is an awesome burden for anyone to bear.
Thank you Lord for not trusting me with more than you have and help me to be a better steward. AMEN

3 comments:

John Schroeder said...

Great post! I'v linked to it here

Anonymous said...

the precious thoughts u provided do help our team's research for our group, thanks.

- Lucas

adult short stories erotic incest online said...

NoProblem he says. Gladys felt crushing guilt for pressuring her daughter to share hersecret.
sexy rape stories
free first time crossdress sex stories
taboo masturbation stories
office bdsm stories
women having animal sex stories
NoProblem he says. Gladys felt crushing guilt for pressuring her daughter to share hersecret.